Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A Time to Be Thankful

Let me just say, I love my church!  It is truly a loving, caring, giving place where I feel God's presence and see his work done every day.  We only joined this church less than 2 years ago so we are still rather "new" but we have been welcomed with open arms and brought into the church "family."  I love how warm and welcoming everyone is.  I love how children and families, and the noise and chaos they bring, are celebrated and not shunned.  I love the music, the prayers, the friendships, and the generosity.  I love how there are so many ways to get involved and give back that it is virtually impossible not to get involved.  And I love how generous with time, talents, and money the church is.

Our church helps to support a ministry for the poor and homeless here in Little Rock called St. Francis House.  Before Thanksgiving our family helped pack boxes of food for the needy.  These boxes were given to St. Francis House who distributed them to those in need.  It is such an easy way to help those in need during a time of year when we have so much, and it is a great way to involve young children and teach them about giving to those less fortunate than ourselves.


We gather together
to ask the Lord's blessing;
he chastens and hastens
his will to make known.
The wicked oppressing
now cease from distressing.
Sing praises to his name, 
he forgets not his own.








Beside us to guide us,
our God with us joining, 
ordaining, maintaining
his kingdom divine;
so from the beginning
the fight we were winning;
thou, Lord wast at our side, 
all glory be thine!




We all do extol thee, 
thou leader triumphant, 
and pray that thou still
our defender wilt be.
Let thy congregation
escape tribulation;
thy name be ever praised!
O Lord, make us free!

Text of the hymn We Gather Together written by Nederlandtsch Gendencklanck & translated by Theodore Baker





1 comment:

  1. How fortunate our parish is to have you and your family. I remember attending these activities when my daughter was young. It was a joyful time.

    ReplyDelete