Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Smile...Life is So Much Easier That Way

Last Friday, Friday the 13th, I attended the funeral of the PE teacher and coach from my elementary school.  And while I was not the sporty kind of girl and didn't play on the school basketball team, he did have an impact on my life both as my PE teacher and later as a businessman around town.  He always had a smile on his face.  He was always happy to see you and greeted everyone with friendly words and a warm smile.  Even when he was no longer "Coach" and I would run into him around town, he always remembered me and had a smile on his face at seeing me.

Over the years I lost touch with this man, as is common I think.  I grew up, went off to college and moved out of state for a job.  But I still remember "Coach" fondly and was shocked when I heard of his unexpected death.  I attended the funeral on Friday in part for myself, as a way to say goodbye.  But I also went on behalf of all the students Coach touched over the years.  I wanted to be there, as one of the many children he touched, in order to honor him and his life.  Printed in the service bulletin for the funeral was a an inspirational quote written by Bonnie Mohr entitled "Living Life."  It read:

Life is not a race - but indeed a journey.  Be honest.  Work hard.  Be choosy.  Say "thank you", "I love you", and "great job" to someone each day.  Go to church, take time for prayer.  The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh.  Let your handshake mean more than pen and paper.  Love your life and what you've been given, it is not accidental - search for your purpose and do it as best you can.  Dreaming does matter.  It allows you to become that which you aspire to be.  Laugh often.  Appreciate the little things in life and enjoy them.  Some of the best things really are free.  Do not worry, less wrinkles are more becoming.  Forgive, it frees the soul.  Take time for yourself - plan for longevity.  Recognize the special people you've been blessed to know.  Live for today, enjoy the moment.

I read these words while waiting in the packed church for the service to begin.  During the service I listened to Coach's brother-in-law speak about Coach and his life.  Some things I knew.  Some things I didn't.  I listened as he spoke about Coach's time as a teacher and the children he touched.  About the different restaurants he had run after teaching.  About the greetings and smiles he gave to everyone every day. About how in times of trouble he was known in the family as the one to call.   How he would drop everything to be there for his loved one in time of need with no questions asked.  And about how he lived every day to the fullest.  Enjoying life and all the joys it brings.  Taking time to remember what is most important and to cherish all the little things as life goes by.

I listened to the words of Coach's brother in law and read the words above and thought about my own life.  I thought of all the times, especially lately, where I have been so caught up in getting things done and so upset and annoyed at one (or more) of the children because of another mess they have made or another problem that I haven't been enjoying my life.  I haven't been taking the time to remember that they are only little once.  And yes, while they make lots of messes and mean lots of laundry, and crumbs, and fingerprints, they also mean lots of "I love you's" and hugs and kisses.  Those same little hands that make sticking fingerprints on the walls are slipping in to my hands because they want to be near me and hold my hand.  Those same little mouths that lately have had a few too many smart alecky comments are the ones that say "I love you mommy" and sing me cute songs they have learned at church or school.  These same children that pick at each other and fight over a toy are the same ones that, when they hear their little sister crying, go running to her room to make sure she is ok, or bring her one of her favorite toys.  Hearing the words about how Coach lived life to the fullest and took the time to enjoy the little things in life make me remember how truly lucky I am.  I am blessed with four, sometimes crazy, frustrating, and ill-behaved, but beautiful, loving and wonderful children.  I am even more blessed that I am able to stay home with them full time.  I get to be here to read them stories, play dress-up, take them to the zoo and to the splash pad, kiss boo-boo's, learn new things and watch them grow up.  I need to slow down and remember all the blessings I have, not just the challenges.

Maybe every funeral makes you think about what your family and friends will say about you after you are gone.  I want them to say I lived.  Because that is a whole lot more important than having the cleanest house on the block.  At least to me it is.

So even in his death, Coach touched me and brought me back to something I knew but had lost sight of in all the craziness of life with four children.  The little things matter.  Live life to the fullest and smile...life is so much easier that way.

Thanks Coach.  You will be missed.

1 comment: