Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Berry Picking

I remember going to pick berries during the summer when I was little.  My mom took my brother and I (this was before my little sister was born) and the family friends that lived next door and off we went to the berry patch.  Two moms, five kids, and lots of berries.  If my memory is correct, my mom and the mom next door made jelly from some of the berries and then froze the rest, especially blueberries, to use throughout the year.  Blueberry pancakes...yummy!  Every summer since my oldest was born and husband and I moved back home to Arkansas, I have said that I wanted to go berry picking and every year we have either had too much going on, or waited too late in the year, or just didn't want to brave the heat, and so we haven't gone.  Until this year.  This year husband and I took all four children to the berry patch bright and early one Saturday morning.  We intentionally picked a Saturday right in the middle of the unseasonable cool snap in June and went as early as we could get all four children up, clothed, fed and in the car.  What did we pick?  Blueberries and blackberries.  And boy did we have a blast.


Showing off her pink berry picking pail.

Brother had to show me his pail too.



In the blueberry patch.



Working hard.




 


Now it's on to blackberries.




I had to get in one of Ava just to prove she was there.  She had a great time in the carrier snuggled up on my chest.



 And here is one of Ella after the picking was complete and we were on our way home.  Happy but dirty.  Notice the dirt all over her smiling face.

I opted not to make jelly out of our berries but to freeze them to use in pancakes, muffins, and cobblers throughout the year.  We will definitely be going back next year.  It was a great activity for both husband and I and the children.  And next year Ava will be able to "help."  


Stay tuned for more fruit picking fun.  We are planning a trip to the orchard for peach picking in the next week or so.

Happy Picking!

2 comments:

  1. I remember taking our daughter strawberry picking when she was about JD's age. I think she ate far more than she picked. Tell JD his rose (it will always be his rose) bush just put out two new blooms. It is doing so well. Hugs to you all and wishes for a wonderful summer. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We talked to all three of them about not eating the berries while picking them. They did pretty well. Harrison did most of the eating. Thanks for the comment. John David's face lights up when I tell him I've gotten a message from you. He loves his Ms. Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete