Thursday, August 2, 2012

Under the Sea

One week this summer Mommy School went Under the Sea for inspiration for our craft and food projects.  There are so many cute ideas out there on pinterest. I also found some great ideas on funfamilycrafts.com  Our "Under the Sea" week included making jellyfish, which are currently decorating the breakfast bar area in our kitchen as well as making starfish smores.  Yum!  The week also included our weekly trip to the library and a fun outing to the new War Memorial splash pad and ice cream for dinner night.

Making jellyfish was so much fun and so easy.  My three really liked this project and were very proud of their creations.  And the supplies needed were inexpensive and things, with the exception of the eyes, I already had on hand.

Step 1
We used simple and cheap paper bowls and the kids painted them using water colors.  They actually painted two bowls the outside of one and the inside of the other.

Step 2
Glue goggly eyes on the outside of the painted bowl

Step 3
Glue lengths of sheer ribbon in "oceany" colors to the underside of the bowl and then glue the two bowls together.

Step 4
Punch a hole through the jelly fish and thread with yarn or fishing line.  Now they are ready to display.

I told you...inexpensive, easy, and really fun and cute.


Hard at work

Working hard


Working too hard to actually look at the camera but at least I'm smiling

Also concentrating too hard to look at the camera

This is fun mom

Displaying the top of his jelly fish

Harrison has to show off his too.

As you can see Harrison also painted the counter while working on his jelly fish.  Thank goodness it was just water colors and came off no problem.

And here are the finished masterpieces.  Sorry they aren't good pictures.  




Our cooking activity for the week was Starfish Smores.  Yum!  Now I am not a big smores fan.  I love the components individually but somehow put together they just aren't my thing.  I think it is because there is too much chocolate and not enough marshmallow.  That being said I loved the starfish smores. In my humble opinion they were much better than regular smores.  Again I think it had to do with the chocolate to marshmallow ratio.  In the starfish smores there was more marshmallow and less chocolate and for a marshmallow lover like me this was a definite plus.  They were so delicious they disappeared too fast for me to get any pictures.  But here is the link to the instructions/recipes I used to make them. Starfish Smores Recipe  Thanks funfamilycrafts.com.

Our Under the Sea week also included a trip to the new splash park at War Memorial with a special ice cream for dinner night,  but I'll have to blog about that fun later.  I better get back to work.  Dinner and laundry beckon.  have a good night everyone.






No comments:

Post a Comment