Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fishing on the Farm


I am pretty sure I have mentioned before that this city girl married a country boy.  My husband grew up in a tiny hamlet, not even big enough to be a real town, in the middle of nowhere.  The actual directions to get to my in-law's house include the words "go to the end of the pavement and turn right."  I'm not joking.  My husband never lived on a paved road until he was in college.  A guy a dated in college was from a small, South Arkansas town of around 2,600 people.  I thought that was small until I met husband and found out he is from, what I jokingly call a suburb, of a small town with only around 1,200 people.  The name of husband's hometown....Snowball.  No lie!  That is the actual name of his home town.  There isn't a town anymore.  Just a few homes, a masonic lodge, and a fully stocked Pepsi machine on the front porch of what once was the Snowball general store.

We don't make it to Snowball very often.  It is only about a 2 hour drive from where we are but life is just so crammed with stuff to do that we don't seem to have a lot of empty weekends to take off and visit the farm.  Over Memorial Day Weekend husband took the three "big kids" to visit his parents for some down home fun on the farm.  Ava and I stayed home and had some quality time one on one.  It was like a mini vacation for me.  Only having one to take care of instead of four (five if you count husband too) and only having to cook and clean up after myself was nice.  And the quiet....awesome.  Everyone says babies are hard.  I think the 3 year olds are hard.  Ava is the easiest of the four right now.  I will admit that as a first time mom I thought babies were hard too.

But I digress.  While Ava and I were enjoying our quiet time at home, everyone else was having a grand time on the farm.  The small town just up the road from Snowball was having their annual Hillbilly Daze Parade complete with people handing out bubba teeth.  The "big kids" had a great time watching the parade, eating hotdogs grilled by the volunteer fire fighters and playing on the playground.  Once the fun of Hillbilly Daze was over, it was off to the farm to check on the cows and do some fishing.  I was skeptical on how much they would enjoy fishing.  I actual have been fishing before and didn't think it wasn't very much fun.  It is kind of slow, just sitting there waiting for a fish to bite.  I thought with how active and on the go John David, Ella and Harrison are that there was no way they would put up with the slow pace of fishing for very long.  Boy was I wrong.  Fishing was a big hit. They were fishing in one of the ponds on the family farm.  It turns out my father in law had stocked the pond with so many fish that all you had to do was throw your line out there and almost instantly you caught a fish.

Check out what everyone caught.











Here is a video husband shot of John David with his biggest catch.

And here is a video of Harrison with his catch.  He was a little wary of the fish once it was out of the water.

They were all very proud of themselves and are already wanting to go back and go fishing again.  Who knows, I might even like fishing on the farm.  Provided I don't have to bait the hook or touch the fish.  Like I said, I'm a city girl through and through.

Happy Fishing!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go guys! John David....Miss Bonnie once loved to go fishing with her Dad. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete