Saturday, April 14, 2012

Take Me Out To The Ball Game...


It is that time of year again. Baseball season. Now, my husband and my boys love all sports. John David's favorite sport changes with the season. In the fall he is all about football. Razorback football to be exact. In the winter, he can't get enough basketball. During the spring and summer, it is on to baseball. I grew up in a household where my dad loves sports too, but his favorite is baseball. Consequently, I know my fair share about the game and even have a favorite team. This will probably surprise some of you, given that I am a native Arkansan, but I am a die hard Boston Red Sox's fan. I have been all my life. You may ask how in the world a little girl from Arkansas winds up a Red Sox fan. Well, my mom grew up in Massachusetts and as a child we would spend a month each summer with my grandparents who lived about 45 minutes outside of Boston. My grandfather even took me to a few games at Fenway Park. As a result I am a huge Red Sox fan. Even in their down years, like this one is sure to be. And just so you know I have passed on my love of the Red Sox to both my husband and children.

So anyway, spring and summer in our house means it is baseball season.

This is the second year John David has been old enough to play T-ball. You have to turn 5 by April 30th to be eligible to play in his league. His birthday is April 27th so he makes the cut off by 3 whole days. This means he is the absolute youngest on his team. There are quite a few other little boys who will turn 6 the first few weeks of May. Even though he is the youngest he is definitely not the smallest and does a really good job out there.

His team is the Phillies. All the teams are named after MLB teams. Given my love of the Red Sox it would have been nice if he had been put on that team, but since Cliff Lee is a pitcher for the Phillies and an Arkansan so we are happy with our team.

Friday night was our second game of the season. This year the rules state each team get three outs an inning or six runs per inning whichever comes first. Typically the six runs comes first because although the boys have gotten much better in the field they are still working on catching the ball so most of the time the batter makes it safely to first. Here are a few shots from the game.

Getting ready to bat.



Safe at First


On Third ready to run home


Excited after making it home


Playing third base


Hit it to me...I'm ready


More games and fun to come this week. GO PHILLIES!!!

1 comment:

  1. these pics of John David absolutely cracked me up...he looks so grown up in his "down and ready" stance!

    ReplyDelete