Friday, April 20, 2012

A Quiet Moment

Well the glamorous life has continued today at my house. John David woke up from a nap yesterday afternoon with a fever of 101.3. He seemed to feel a little better after dosing him with Children's Tylenol but at midnight was up sick as a dog. The poor guy is just like me when I was growing up and gets every single stomach bug that comes along. He was up all night either sick and throwing up or in tears complaining that his stomach hurt. Needless to say husband and I are running on a total of maybe 2 hours of sleep. John David has never complained about his stomach hurting like that before when he has been sick so of course I started to worry. It didn't help that it was the middle of the night, none of the three of us had had any sleep, and he was in agony. I worried it might be appendicitis or something worse and kept thinking "Should I take him to the emergency room. What if it is appendicitis and his appendix bursts? I know, I know. I am a worrier. I think all mothers are. I can hear my brother, the med/peds resident, saying how I am over reacting and to calm down. It is just a stomach virus. And while I rely on him for lots of medical advice and consults and I know he is right, I'm still a mom watching my baby suffer and making it on absolutely no sleep. I worry. It is what I do. To make things worse, his fever kept going up and he couldn't keep anything down so the medicine we tried to give him for the fever was of absolutely no use.

Obviously John David did not go to school today and won't be playing T-ball tonight. House rules, if you are too sick for school you are too sick for extra curricular activities. That was the rule at my house growing up and we've instituted it at our house too. Of course, mine are a little young to fake being sick. They still love school and hate to miss it. When I was putting the twins down for a nap this afternoon I read them the story Llama Llama Misses Mama about a little llama who misses his mommy while at preschool. After I finished reading Ella informed me she doesn't miss me when she is at school. It broke my heart. I mean, I want them to love school but it would make me feel better to know they missed me just a little bit.

Anyway, since John David stayed home today and I am running on sugar and caffeine, we are having a pajama day today. No one, other than my husband who had to go to work, has showered or put on real clothes. We haven't been lazy though. At least I haven't been. While John David has slept most of the day the twins and I have cleaned, done laundry, cleaned some more and, for a little break, done some birthday party planning. The big party is next Saturday and the kids can't wait but I have a lot to do before then.

Right now, all four of my babies are sleeping and I am enjoying a rare quiet moment. I need to get up, start another load of laundry, think about dinner, and try to check off one of the many things off my To Do list. Instead I am enjoying the quiet, reading my book (nothing serious just a fun read) and waiting for the rain to start.

John David is on the mend. Hopefully he will back up and going tomorrow so we can enjoy our weekend and he can go to his friend's birthday party on Sunday. Hopefully no one else in the family falls victim to the tummy bug. Then our house will be back to the loud, chaotic on the go place it normally is. I guess I better enjoy my quiet moment while I can.

Have a great weekend everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment