Monday, November 4, 2013

Pumpkin Patch!

Picking out pumpkins at the pumpkin patch is a family tradition.  It is something my family did when we were all younger (and older) children and it is a tradition husband and I have carried on with our brood.  There have been years when I wanted to throw in the towel, forget about ever going to the patch again, and just buy my pumpkins at the grocery store.  But....then I think of all the memories I have of trips to the pumpkin patch from my childhood and know that good or bad, stressful or easy, I want those memories for my children.  So it is always back to the patch for another year.

This year was no exception.  Collectively we made three, yes three, trips to the pumpkin patch.  Once for a birthday party and then two school field trips and we had a blast every time.  In order not to really over do it on the visits to the pumpkin patch, we combined our annual family trip with the birthday party.  That meant husband wasn't able to go with us but I just thought four trips in one year was a tad too much.

The weather on our first trip to the patch for a friend's birthday party wasn't great and wouldn't you know it, I forgot my real camera.  I took a few shots with my phone but they were't anything special so no photos from trip number one.

Trip number two was a field trip for the twins' preschool class.  On the drive out to the pumpkin patch the fog was horrible and I was worried the weather would be nasty and make for a not so fun field trip but as soon as we got there the sun came out and the weather was wonderful.  Yeah!

These days the pumpkin patch is so much more involved that it was when I was a child.  It isn't just about picking out the perfect pumpkin, although that is important, there are all sorts of other activities as well.

There are farm animals to feed and pet.















A totally fun hayride



A corn pit in which to roll and play.







All of them LOVE this corn pit.  I don't know what it is about rolling around in a huge pile of corn that makes it so fun but without a doubt every single child had a blast in the corn.  Maybe I need one of these?

After all that fun comes the serious part.  Selecting the perfect pumpkin.

Harrison was in and out quickly.  Ready to get back to the fun on the corn pit and hay bale maze.  

His selection.




Ella took more time to look and study and find the perfect one.

And Ava just wanted to show everyone she was a big girl and could do anything the big kids could do.





 Trip #2 is a SUCCESS!








No comments:

Post a Comment