Thursday, March 21, 2013

Best Ever Scones

We are on spring break this week and wouldn't you know it but after last week being warm and beautiful this week has been a bit on the cool side.  Supposedly a cold front was coming through today with cooler temperatures and a cold rain.  There was ever the potential for ice and snow in the northern part of the state.  Well, the temperatures are definitely colder today than yesterday but so far...no rain.  Not that I am complaining because I'm not.  My three 'big kids" have been outside a good part of the day despite the cold temperature so I'm glad it hasn't started raining yet.  I'm sure it is coming though.

Since the weather turned colder and we were waiting on rain, I decided to do a little baking this morning.  I decided on scones.  They are easy, delicious, and do not qualify as a dessert so they are fair game since it is still Lent.  I decided to make two batches, one savory and one sweet.  I took pictures and posted them to facebook and was quickly asked for the recipe so here goes.

Best Ever Scones
(I got this recipe out of Southern Living a couple of years ago and they are delicious.  When I found the recipe it gave a number of different flavors, both savory and sweet.  I've tried a good number of them but I also just use the basic recipe and add whatever flavors I want or have on hand.)

2 cups All Purpose Flour
1/3 cup Sugar
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Cold butter, cut into cubes
1 cup Whipping cream, divided.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  
Stir together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.  
Cut butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter until crumbly and the mixture resembles small peas.  
Put the mixture in the freezer for 5 minutes.  
Remove from the freezer and add 3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons cream, stirring until the dry ingredients are just moistened.  
At this point I add whatever flavors I am using.  Today I made ham and cheddar (savory) and strawberry (sweet).
Turn the dough out onto wax paper; gently press or pat dough into a 7" round.  The mixture will be crumbly.
Cut the round into 8 wedges.  Place wedges 2" apart on a lightly greased baking sheet.
Brush the tops with the remaining 2 Tablespoons of cream until moistened.
Bake at 450 degrees for 13 to 15 minutes until golden.

If you are making a savory scone, omit the 1/3 cup of sugar.  All the other ingredients remain the same.

For the ham & cheddar scones I added approximately 3/4 cup of chopped ham and 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese.  



Today was the first time I made strawberry scones and I added approximately 3/4 cup chopped strawberries.  I used chopped frozen strawberries because that was what I had on hand.  I will let you know that in my experience when you are making these scones with frozen berries they spread a little more while baking.  This makes them not quite as beautiful but just as tasty.   The kids and I have already been sampling these.



The other variations suggested by Southern Living were Chocolate-Cherry, Apricot Ginger, Cranberry-Pistachio, Brown Sugar Pecan, Bacon Cheddar & Chive, Pimento Cheese, and Rosemary Pear Asiago.  I have also made cranberry orange and white chocolate craisin and both were delicious.

The only downside of this recipe....it only makes 8 scones and they are so delicious 8 just isn't enough.
Enjoy and happy baking!

1 comment:

  1. I was expecting a rainy day today as well. A day perfect day to hang out with a good book. I saved the scone recipe out of Southern Living as well. I think the rain is here, maybe a good time to look through my new SL. I hope all my babes are having a good spring break. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete